Many players have raised concerns about the Red Dead Redemption 2 out-of-memory error. The error message usually reads “ERR_MEM_VIRTUAL_OF_MEMORY” and has been encountered by numerous players while trying to launch the game on PC. Errors like this are not peculiar to Red Dead Redemption 2 as most video games have bugs, errors, and other issues as well. It is, therefore, necessary we explain how to fix the Red Dead Redemption 2 out-of-memory error.
As bad and annoying as errors like this are, the RDR 2 out-of-memory error like many other issues one can be fixed. All you need do is follow the process and steps we will explain in this article.
How to Fix Red Dead Redemption [Rdr] 2 Out Of Memory Error
Developers are working round the clock to make RDR 2 error-free. Till that happens, there are many steps to take in resolving certain errors. Here are possible ways to fix the RDR 2 out-of-memory error.
Step 1) Increase Page File Size
Here is how to go about increasing page file size:
1) First, go to the Windows search bar and type “advanced system settings”.
2) Then select “View Advanced System Settings” from the results, and under the Performance tab, click on Settings.
3) Now, click the Advanced tab and select the Change option, then uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”
4) At this point, select C drive and mark the custom size box and input values for the initial size and maximum size (Size should be in between 1.5x to 3x of your RAM).
5) Now click OK to save changes.
Step 2) Update drivers as well as Windows
Having drivers that are up to date is very essential for gaming, and outdated drivers usually result in crashes and other similar issues. Head to the official website of your GPU manufacturer and download the latest drivers. Also, depending on the version of Windows you are using, we recommend you go about it by updating Windows as a whole. Upon completing the Windows update, if the issue persists, you can try the next step.
Step 3) Switch API from Vulkan to DirectX 12
Switching from the default Vulkan API to Directx 12 in the game isn’t difficult. Here’s how:
1) The first thing to do is go to the game menu Settings and click on the Graphics option.
2) Then scroll to the Advanced Settings section and make sure that Advanced Setting is set to Unlocked.
3) Now, scroll down to the Graphics API section and use the direction icon to change it to DirectX 12, then press ENTER to apply changes.
Step 4) Verify and Repair Game Files
RDR 2 comes with lots of files, and one or more of those getting corrupt or missing will negatively impact gameplay, leading to out of memory error even. You can repair and replace game files easily. Here’s how.
For Epic Games Launcher
1) First, launch Epic Games Launcher and click on the three dots beside RDR 2.
2) Then select Verify and wait for the update to complete.
For Rockstar Games Launcher
1) Launch the Rockstar Games Launcher and navigate to settings.
2) From the My Installed Games list, select RDR 2 and click Verify Integrity on the right pane.
3) Once the process is complete, launch the game.
1) Open Steam client and navigate to Library.
2) Now, right-click on RDR 2 and select Properties.
3) Then go to Local Files and select Verify Integrity of Game Files.
4) Reboot the PC to apply the new changes and launch the game.
Step 5) Disable Overlay
Steam overlay running with the game simultaneously may affect the memory. To disable it, follow these steps.
1) Open Steam and navigate to settings.
2) On getting there, click In-Game and uncheck the ‘Enable The Steam Overlay While In-Game’ box.
3) Now click OK and launch the game.
Step 6) Perform Clean Boot
A clean boot helps your PC boot without nonessential programs, thereby limiting memory usage. Here’s how to go about it.
1) Start by pressing Windows + R to open the dialog box, and then type in MSCONFIG to open System Configuration.
2) Then navigate to the Services tab and enable the ‘Hide all Microsoft Services’ box.
3) Now click on Disable All and Apply, then click OK to save changes.
These were our workarounds on how to fix the out-of-memory error in Red Dead Redemption 2. Stay in touch with Vabsaga for more updates, and kindly share this article with everyone. Have fun.